HI- My name is Christine.  I’ve worked as a nurse practitioner for 25 years, but that is only part of  WHO I am.

In 2018 I was diagnosed with Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia (a chronic, degenerative neuromuscular disease, like ALS).  This was the beginning of my 2nd chapter.  

I want to share my personal and professional experiences to help others (with and without chronic illnesses). 

For 18 years I was given many misdiagnoses, underwent many (painful) procedures, saw numerous doctors, told my symptoms were because I was a stressed woman, I was depressed or maybe it was all in my head!!

No matter what I did (changed my diet, lost weight, exercised more...) I was SO fatigued, I felt like I just got beat up and I looked like I was drunk (and I don't drink!).

Finally I got genetic testing and found out that I have HSP;SPG7-WHAT?

A chronic, progressive disease with no cure!

I have HSP but that's not who I am!

That’s how the blog Don’t “DIS” my Abilities was born! Follow my adventures as I create my 2nd chapter. 

Each week I'll talk about a topic that is important to our health and how those of us with "DIS-abilities" can adapt.

When I was diagnosed with HSP I made a list: 50 things to do before 50. On that list was do a 5k (I never "ran" a race in my life!) Now with the help of my amazing Alinker (go to www.thealinker.comthealinker.com) I'm up to 10 5ks!

Movement
"You don't drown by falling into the water; you drown by staying there!"-Edwin Louis Cole
If I had a nickel for every time I told a patient of mine "you have to increase your exercise" I would be a millionaire!
Keep moving-movement is so important. There is no magic pill to get us to get up and go. We have to move in order to keep our heart healthy, to keep our lungs strong, maintain our muscle strength, and maintain good mental health!
Why is something so simple so hard?
Sometimes we're in pain, we're tired...
Go out for a walk (if you can), do yoga, stretching exercises...You'll feel better (I guarantee it!)
"Go smell the roses!"

#hspandpls, #alinker,




Comments

Popular posts from this blog